Monday 19 November 2012

Morning worship at Bossey


Every morning the students lead worship, we are give pairings and I have no doubt that the choice of pairings are based on diversity, not just the denomination but the personality are well.
As with any group there are a handful of people that ask all the questions in class, they volunteer for things and when they are involved in worship they are happy to lead.
Worship is often more memorable and and has more impact when those who don't normally lead are asked to lead worship together. The worship is less predictable, often more intense and often very rich in content. I think this is because its often a style and view you don't get to hear everyday in class, especially when they include a sermon. It's an all embracing way of hearing the voices of all our fellow students and learning more about them and their spirituality.
Mixing denominations, makes you realise that worshipping together is much easier than you think, most of the time! Orthodox and Baptist, Methodist and Roman Catholic, Anglican and Chinese Non denominational, they all work. But it's interesting to look at the compromises made by each.
The biggest consideration is the Filioque, the addition of the words 'and the son,' to the Nicene Creed. If it is added, this causes an issue for the Orthodox worshippers, if it is bracketed it is acceptable, leaving it out, or using the Apostles creed if often the best option
Generally if Africans are involved in worship, then drums are played somewhere in the worship. All the Asian countries love to sing hymns, but for me I don't find them cultural because they are the hymns we would often sing in the Anglican church of the UK. I find myself taking a more contemplative approach to worship, identifying my culture more with morning prayer from the Book of Common Prayer, because I feel I too need to have an identity. It's difficult here being from the UK to have a clear identity, because we have exported so many of our 'English' ways of worshipping on those countries who were in the British Empire and those countries influenced by British Missionaries.
Although a lot of worship has its origins in my tradition, worshipping together made me sit up and realise that The Church of England is not the centre of the world Church. I think I knew this, but I wonder how long would it have taken me to acknowledge this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment