Tuesday 22 January 2013

Rome - study visit day 1


I'm in Rome and I had no reason to be stressed! I'm in a single room with its own ensuite, it's better than the accommodation I have been staying in for the whole of my time in Petit Bossey. And the food tonight was delicious, it's getting used to a different order of food to Switzerland, it's pasta, then meat and vegetables with salad, then dessert. They also bring around cheese to go with the meat, as opposed to Switzerland which is salad then a main course which may include pasta or rice.
Anyway I'm a happy bunny on my first night here, I wasn't looking forward to sharing a room for 6 nights, but there are advantages to being the eldest female in the group!

We have spent the morning with the Pontificate council for Christian unity, the council for interfaith dialogue and the superiors council for religious orders. I was expecting it to be a very long morning, but the variety of speakers, all ordained men or men and women in religious orders was good and they ensured we moved about and had breaks. All in all a good morning.
This afternoon was the visit to the Necropolis, the city of the dead. We walked under St Peters Basilica, and made our way past the bones of St Peter still sitting in the graffiti wall where they were positioned from their original burial site, which we also walked past. Directly on top of this site is the altar of St Peter's, for this reason only the Pope is allowed to celebrate mass here, because he is considered a direct descendant of St Peter.
It's been an excellent day, I plan to write and read tonight. The week will be manageable at this pace as long as I rest in the evening.
Father Louis, a priest originally from Canada and working in the council for Christian unity is an excellent guide and very approachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment