Sunday 23 September 2012

I've just come to the end of my first 'proper' weekend in Bossey. I had to entertain myself! Yesterday I went into Geneva, navigating the buses and trains and returned safely to the right place, I even used my limited french to get me there.
I went shopping with Agnes from Zambia, and did you know they have H&M in Zambia? I didn't!

As I came out of the railway station the first outlets to greet me were H&M, Starbucks and yes, you've guessed it, MacDonalds, no surprises there.

Today I went to two Anglican services, one in Geneva and one in a small village near Nyon

I've been at the same church in Henbury pretty much all my life, I've ventured out when I've been invited by others to a different church, but I've never really walked into a church for a service as a visitor looking to become a regular attender.
We all think we have a welcoming church, we smile at people we don't know, we introduce ourselves, we tell them to make ourselves at home. But being on the receiving end is quite different. The service was familiar, I knew all the hymns, I knew when to stand and sit, but i knew there were friendships and relationships all around me that I wasn't involved in, I didn't know the names of the people in the notices or the events taking place, it is much more difficult than I could have imagined being the stranger. Another part of my formation I suppose...

Weekends make me feel a bit homesick, I'd be at home with Harriet on a Saturday morning having a relaxing breakfast and then a dog walk, but here I only have myself to think about, nobody and no dogs to keep me entertained without thinking too hard about what to do.

So I've ensured the next two weekends are full, my first visitors, David and Sarah are coming over in a fortnight and it's a well timed, think the home sickness may strike big time when the novelty of being here wears off!!


No comments:

Post a Comment