Monday 17 September 2012

Que coupons-nous faire de notre vie?
What do we want to do with our lives?
D. Bonhoeffer

I'm sat in Auditoire Calvin in Geneva. I've never been in a Calvinist church before and I'm amazed at how different it is.. Although the interior and exterior is very church like, pillars and stone arches etc, the similarities end there. The windows are plain, no stained glass just plain colours. Some orange and some blue. At the front of the church there is no alter, only a large lecture and a plain wooden table, the musicians take up most of this space. But what is noticeably different is the lack of decorations on the walls, no memorials no pictures and no crosses. I don't think I actually notice how ornate Anglican churches in England are, but this one looks plain, plain is the only word to describe it.
This service is to celebrate the start of this academic year for the faculty and we were invited as a group from Bossey. The service has been completely in French, for those of you who know me well, you know languages don't come easily to me, but I have found singing in French helps my  pronunciation, because the words are broken down to follow the musical notes, I just have no idea what I am singing!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment