Friday 19 October 2012

Academia


I suppose I was going to notice it eventually, especially as quite a lot of the teaching is covered in a variety of different ways for a variety of different reasons, by Catholic and Lutheran professors, that I could go home an expert on the Catholic and Lutheran perspectives of the ecumenical movement and its theology! I'm not sure some of my Catholic and Lutheran colleagues will feel the same about the Anglican perspective. But don't worry there are enough of us here to speak up!
And as for the repetitiveness, well I thought about it and during coffee this morning, following a slightly repeated session on the Pentecostal movement, Aris, an Armenian student, who came in June to attend the english course, so he could begin his studies here in English, mentioned that "he got it now."  He didn't get it after the Pentecostal talk from a visiting speaker, but now he does! I have to realise that I speak English and I come from an ecumenical college, Aris is Armenian and comes from an oriental orthodox background, so he has not been exposed to a lot of these denominations, and didn't speak a word of English until June this year, so who am I to complain? Yet again I feel especially humbled from these unexpected clashes of culture.

I have to remember its not all about me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment