Tuesday 9 October 2012

The honeymoon period is over!

Things are missing from the fridge, the noise in the house at night is starting to grate, I dont want to be the source of all knowledge just because im English and I'm fed up with the food!! Oh, and I'm homesick and want to come home...
We were warned that these feelings would hit us and they said it would be after about a month, it's 4 weeks today since I got here!
I have no doubt that by next week things will have settled again.

I had my first visitors this weekend, Sarah and David stayed in Geneva. It was so great to see them and speak my normal English instead of the ecumenical English I'm learning to speak here. One thing I have noticed is that I can't apply my usual humour in my conversations, sarcasm just doesn't translate ecumenically!
David and Sarah bought Bristol with them just by being here, this was great, but also reinforced the homesickness.
But what a great weekend we had. We started with a fondue lunch and then tried to walk it off in search of the Calvin statue at Judith's request back at STETS, the pictures are on Facebook. We then found a tea shop in the old city, with the weather so great, we were able to sit outside and enjoy the evening sun.
On Sunday after Holy Trinity Geneva, we settled down on the boat tour around the lake, Sarah to take lots of pictures and me to sit and chat some more. There is absolutely no question that tourism and exploring new places are not top of my list for filling my spare time, although I'm doing a lot better than most of the students I study with.
It was wonderful to spend a weekend away from Bossey, but it was also great to show it to Sarah and David on Sunday, they had a chance to meet a few of my fellow students as well.

The weekend has left me refreshed and ready to start another week, as I said, the rose tinted spectacles were going to slip sooner of later....

No comments:

Post a Comment